The team at ebuyer has designed an informative infographic which visually represents the most recent statistics available relating to children aged 3-15 years and their associated technological use. Although generation Y are undoubtedly and somewhat instinctively more proficient at using tech than most of their adult counterparts, some of the collated data may still come as a surprise. Here are the key findings:
- 72% of 12-15 year old’s own three or more media devices
- 16% of 8-11 year old’s own five or more media devices
- In an average week, 3-4 year old’s spend 6.5 hours on the internet
- 18% of 5-7 year old’s have uploaded photo’s to a website
- 51% of households with a 3-15 year old have a tablet computer compared to 7% in 2011
2014 will see a surge of tech based children’s toys entering the market in the form of tablets, smart wearable tech, enhanced play devices and even augmented reality. The overall toy market was down last year by 1% compared to 2012 however, the Youth Electronics market saw an overall increase. Are ‘Generation Y’ set to become ‘Generation Tech?’ And could technology be harming the parent-child relationship?